- Opera & Ballet
- Box office
- Support the Theatre
The ancient exterior
The new Teatro Regio is hidden from view for visitors coming from Piazza Castello: this is due to Mollino’s decision, which proved successful, to conserve the façade of the former building, the only part to survive the fire and thus allow for its reutilization.
The façade of the Theatre Teatro is the only architectural element remaining from the former building constructed by Count Benedetto Alfieri and destroyed in the fire of 1936: it occupies part of the East side of Piazza Castello and hides the new Regio from view. Carlo Mollino used this façade to create a building for a the administrative offices (the “Palazzina Alfieri”), connected to the new structure by way of the Galleria Tamagno.
The Regio façade displays perfect architectural continuity with the buildings facing Piazza Castello. The red brick, as in the semicircular and triangular tympana above the windows and porticos, is repeated in the buildings adjacent to the Theatre. This element is also found in the nearby wing of the Antiche Segreterie di Stato, today the seat of the Provincial Council and the Prefecture.
As it was for the former theatre, also today access to the Regio is mediated by a series of porticos that run along the perimeter of the whole square. The porticos are part of the architectural remains of Alfieri’s theatre, and they open onto the square with large arches in the centre of which chandeliers in red glass illuminate the entrance to the theatre every evening. The windows overlooking the square relate the activities of the Theatre from week to week.
At the end of the porticos, adjacent to the Theatre, is the Box Office of the Regio, equipped with three ticket counters for the public. A completely computerized system assures the safe handling of the sales – also on line – of Season tickets and single tickets plus an easy choice of seating.